We are a relatively small school with approximately 680 pupils on roll. The school occupies an attractive site close to the centre of the small market town of Caistor.
School buildings help to form two sides of a close around the ancient Parish Church. The ironstone School Hall dates from 1631 and is still in daily use. The School Library alongside is housed in what was the Congregational Church built in 1842. Casterby House, once a large private house and now our Sixth Form Centre, overlooks the churchyard from the far side of the school gates.
Our main teaching block dates from the 1930s but was extended and modernised in 1984. This work gave us good provision for science teaching. The building also contains our classics and geography rooms. The Manning Building was opened in 1984. It provides teaching rooms for PE and modern languages and history and contains a large gymnasium. It has recently been enlarged to provide extra classrooms and a state of the art fitness suite and allows us to suite our on site sports facilities. Two new Technology Buildings were added in 1993 and 1994.
These contain rooms for design and technology, specialist rooms for information and communication technology and a fifth science laboratory. We now have student computers throughout the school linked on the same network, with six rooms having between 16 and 32 computers available for student use in each room.
There is a fine view from the top of the Terraces, in which further recreational space has been recently added. We possess extensive playing fields at nearby Navigation Lane, providing facilities for a number of sports including hockey, cricket, football, netball, tennis and athletics. Significant improvements have been made to our sporting facilities as a result of support from parents, our successful bid to become a Sports College and grants from the Football Foundation. These include the completion of a new changing Pavilion opened by Sir Trevor Brooking and the recent completion of an all weather pitch, opened by Steven Grainger, Chief Executive of the Youth Sports Trust.
At the bottom of the Terraces Lindsey House, the former boarding house, includes a suite of English and Mathematics rooms. This extensive and ambitious re-development was officially opened by Lord Puttnam of Queensgate in November 2001. The Music Department has been redecorated and occupies a suite of rooms on the ground floor and our Art department uses creatively re-modelled accommodation on the ground and first floors.
Lindsey House also contains the Dining Room which all pupils use at lunchtime. A lower entrance to the School serves Lindsey House. Next to the gates stands Beech House, where our Site Manager lives.
We are striving to extend and improve our accommodation with laboratory refurbishment and a new music room particular priorities.